Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Staying busy


Really helps get things done, if fact more than I had intended. Helps my attitude, keeps me out of Linda's way, makes the time pass even faster than I want.
So far I've done over 80 things to the RV. I'll start on one project, then notice something else needs attention or fixing, get side tracked but eventually get back to the beginning project. As you all know I hate things not working right. I'll spend money now, to get rid of an aggravation only to find out later I didn't need to do that.
Case in point, The on-board converter/charger to charge the house battery and run the 12 volt lights and frig was making a very noisy "PING". At O'Reilly's auto parts store I saw an ad for a $19 lawn and garden tractor battery. Linda had to help me get the over sized 60# deep cycle worn out old battery out of the nearly inaccessible recessed hole under the couch/bed. I traded this great big battery for one 1/3 it's size and 40#'s lighter. Installed it, turned on the charger and now the ping is gone... Bought a cooling fan and installed a switch to shut off the noise but there's no noise now.... OH WELL!! But I can control overcharging now. New battery has a voltmeter also to monitor it.
Bought a transmission cooler for <$20. This could save the tranny since we are going to pull a bike and trailer in the desert in the summer. Hoses and fittings could be more than the cooler...
Started painting the stripes that circle the van at 3 different elevations on the exterior. The gray one now looks so good it makes the surrounding red ones look bad, another project.... Some stripes are totally faded out.
At both RV parks this last weekend there were no parking lot lights, VERY dark. I installed a light bought at Camping World. The one I wanted was $5, but they were out of them, I bought an inside one for $6 rather than the $16 ones they had in stock (BS!). Siliconed all the connections.
Also last weekend when I went to connect up the water hose the female connector broke (20 yr. old plastic). Installed a METAL one! (now it will rust). Cut my fingers on a sharp point.
Linda says we can't stay at RV parks without Wi-Fi, B.S! I want to rough it with just water and electric... NO TV too. (remember it's summer, all reruns)
Last weekend for 2 hours (rained all day) we watched Mike Hammer and Bonanza reruns, commercial breaks were over 7 minutes each and now I know why I won't pay for cable. 60's shows are terrible by 2000's standards... Oh 2000's are better?

No comments: