Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Engineer in me....


I love spreadsheets and simple numbers.
I recently figured out there's never a payback in buying diesels over gas engines.
1. Diesels are just as complicated, maybe more. Tuneups on gas are 100k miles now. Diesels have more pumps.
2. Diesel fuel is 5-15% more expensive.
3. Diesel drive trains weight considerably more. My RV is <15k lbs, diesels weigh about 20k lbs.
4. Both require about the same maintenance (schedules).
5. Diesels use 20 qt's of oil vs. 6 in a gas, Oil changes are $85 for gas at Camping World and $200 for diesels! I do my own for less than $15. Getting rid of 5 gallons of oil is not fun!
6. Diesel engines cost $4-7,000 more to buy. Diesel RV Rigs are $10-20k more, why?
7. I can work on gas engines. How many can/will work on diesels? I meet a diesel mechanic who said he wouldn't service his own diesel RV.
8. Accessibility is easy on my gas RV. I've seen some diesel pushers crammed into the rear compartment.
9. Diesels are dirtier polluters. (or at least were)
10. Gas engines, at least my Ford V-10, have as much off the line power as diesels. (310hp-425ft# torque) 4 speed overdrive. (wish it was a 5 speed) . Most diesels are 300 hp & 600ft# torque.

The "Bad" about gas engines. They get 20% less mpg. Usually just 2 less mpg.
Gas does not have as much torque for hill climbing.
They don't last as long. Both serviced correctly will last, 200k miles for gas, vs Diesel, 300k, before overhauls. When did you ever hear someone wearing out on engine or keeping anything over 100-150 k miles? Longevity is not a reason, diesel people, to buy one.

Bottom line: This goes for diesel pick ups too:
Gas is $.20 per mile cheaper depending on miles used. $2000 every 10,000 miles. Even at 100,000 miles gas is $10k cheaper.
That includes: initial cost, depreciation, maintenance, and fuel.

Next time you keep your diesel til 200,000 miles you'll get a break even.

Do you need the extra torque for hill climbing if you live in non-hilly country? Can you leave 1/2 hour earlier to make up for the reduced hill climbing ability to save thousands?

I do get a documented 10 to 11 mpg at 55 mph. Diesels get 10 @ 70 mph -maybe 13-14 mpg at 55 mph. All mpg is dependent on speed. Oh, diesels are better in headwinds? Yes, but you'll lose to same mpg.

I'm retired. Do I need to get there 1-2 hours sooner? Oh, you work? Then don't go as far.....
As it has been said, "Smell the Roses" OR It's not the destination it's the trip getting there...

No comments: