Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ram Cold Air Intake on my RV

4 PICTURES TOTAL
This was one of the easiest, cheapest ($10) and most effective mod I've made to my 33" Fleetwood Fiesta 32S yet. MPGs probably up .5-1 .0
Take off the original restrictive intake that reduces noise and limits air intake in a low pressure area. You probably won't hear any increased noise except at full throttle. I cut out part of the bottom of my air cleaner to increase hole size and to facilitate easier mounting.
Depending on your vehicle you may have to buy/bend elbows or flex dryer vent tubing. You want the scoop to be larger than the intake tube.
Scoop should be mounted into a direct frontal air stream. On rear engines put it along the outside edge, not in the rear/back
Make sure rain can drain down and out. I live in the desert so it rains little here. I do have a deflector I can install behind the grill X's you see in the pics in seconds.
Why it works?
1. It is in a high pressure area, was behind a shield in a low pressure area.
2. It was near the radiator, it now gets cooler air.
3. The engine has to suck less hard to get air. (pumping losses)
4. It helps even more in headwinds when more air in being pushed in
5. I always use guaze air filters (K&N-Accel-Fram). Mine was <$30 on Ebay, Cool Blue Accel.




No comments: