Saturday, March 22, 2008

Reason to ride...


One of the original EP Riders came back riding, Charlie Greenlee. We go back 20 years. We are the same age, worked at the same company and industry, like to tinker in our shops, can talk about anything, share many ideas, and generally just like each other. He is one of the safest riders, considerate, yet will keep up if we speed up in non-threatening roads. I missed him riding with us. Now he wants a different larger cruiser which means, YAAAAAA. That's him ----> No the one without hair.

Guys come and go, some only ride once, some once a year, when they can afford to, when that W word doesn't get in the way, when the honey do's are done, but most return because they love biking almost as much as I do. Most don't have 5 bikes, (OK 4 running), can work on them as much as I do, afford as many either, but it's really my 2ND love. YES DEAR, you do come first, (except on SAT's). Other reasons:

Bikes are fast, even my 400cc is faster than most cars. There's more freedom to wander around in the lane, there does not have to be purpose to how fast or where I go, time seems to move differently on a motorcycle, go over 100 mph and time is stopped, driving a car is boring, on a bike all 4 appendages must be used, the brain has to be thinking clearer, defensively and alert.

Balance, body position, & looking ahead are essential. Knowing a motorcycle is much more dangerous than a car makes it a challenge which many people also consider more fun.

I used to fly airplanes but I never felt safe nor a feeling of speed. Seeing the ground move just a few feet below the eyes in a streak is exhilarating. Only years of experience will keep us alive but also keep me coming back. I did a spreadsheet (my family gets a kick out of my 2-300!) I believe I can do this 14.9 more years and 156, 492 more miles.... on the 4 bikes.

No comments: