Thursday, November 6, 2008

Projects = staying busy



So far I've almost done 80 things to the Yamaha Venture. With five bikes I can dream up things to modify, improve gas mileage, do some maintenance, go for a ride, clean & polish, go pick up parts, do errands, go visit friends, write emails for Saturday's ride, scan the net for parts or look for new projects, check to see what parts I need, look thru parts I got to see what I want/need, reorganize them, checkout the Venture Rider. org website out for other riders opinions, answer friends questions about their bike.


Yesterday a male 25 year old neighbor. who's name is "Wesley" came over asking me if he should buy a 150cc scooter. I said yes if he can get parts, wears a helmet, gloves, jeans, takes the MSF rider safety class at Community College. Presently he rides his bicycle to work as far as 5 miles. He is a roofer, and has applied for Border Patrol. 150cc is still faster than a bicycle.


Yesterday I installed a Variable Resistor in the ignition circuit, hoping I could advance the timing to get more performance and gas mileage. Was only $3, but did not work. Today I rode up to Orogrande about 50 miles. After filling up I "ONLY" got 48.7 mpg at 65 mph. I was hoping for mid 50's. Half of the fun is installing something I've never done before, hoping I don't burn out the electronics ($50-500). The other half is the excuse is to go riding to see if my idea worked.


Most of the time they do.


Dorothy (my sister) said last year "Do you ever NOT modify anything you buy?" Well our Accord only has new floor mats and a freer flowing air cleaner, does that count?


Example of a good modification: We have 2 home humidifiers. When I bought the 2nd one I took the 1st one apart to clean the fan blades. I noticed a dramatic increase in air flow without the grids. So I cut out the ones you can't put your fingers thru anyways. The other grids on top I cut out every other grid. So large objects would not fall inside. I smart enough (most of the time) to NOT put fingers in turning blades and since our kids moved out 10+ years ago....


Got any ideas?

No comments: