Sunday, November 16, 2008

So you think I'm motorcycle crazy...


I bought my Yamaha Venture in June. I let my friend who bought one of my Suzuki 1100's drive it. He immediately loved it and bought one. We got it running late summer. Then we had another friend drive his and mine. He liked it so much he bought one. It came in yesterday.
Mine is a 1984, was $1800 and I've got about $3000 in it now. The first friend bought his 88 for $2500 and has about $4000 in his. The third Venture was bought for $2000, also an 88 and he will probably put at least a $1000 more into his.
Now to my point. I have 5 bikes, first friend now has 3, and the second friend has 7! He has a friend who has over 30. Almost everyone that has been biking a long time has more than 1. Only the newbies or returnies to motorcycling have 1.
I've had 24 bikes in 40+ years. Most I only kept a few years except for the 91 Brown Suzuki 1100 that now has over 100,000 miles I bought in Feb 93.
I kid one of my friends, his wife has 2 boarded horses they are far more expensive to buy and keep. He should have 2 bikes for every horse to be even. Right?
The friend who has 7 has to keep some in a rental space. He also has a 36' 5th wheel, 1 ton pick up, a large SUV and his company van.
Gas has come down but my miles driven have not yet, but winter will slow it down. I'll put 21,000+ miles on my five this year. The Venture is so comfortable (for a motorcycle) it is getting the most, 5,000 in 5 months. The miles float by very easy. The seat is good for 400 mile day trips.
When we took the car to Ft. Davis, it got 33 mpg and cost less to drive than the Venture (47 mpg) in Sept. because gas is down so much.
Life is good in retirement, if you keep yourself busy, and don't have too many pains.

Pic is a light echo, don't ask me to explain that one.

No comments: