Monday, August 31, 2009

Figured out another biggy


Friend of mine in Indianapolis mentioned the area of the windshield was a big concave aerodynamic drag point. I was thinking how can I fill in in? When we brought the RV home from Garland in May I removed a very large ineffective unaerodynamic bug shield in front of the grill but was too low to stop bugs from hitting the windshield. Off it came.
Yesterday I thought about it again. I inverted it and it fit fairly well in the concave drag area.
Today I heated up the plastic bug shield with my 1500 watt heat gun and made it fit better. Used outdoor doubleback sticky tape and good aluminum duct tape (the gray cheap stuff lasts 2 days in the sun and the gluey adhesive makes a mess).
I did some calculations and it could give .4 more mpg!!!
It looks like another window. It could help our swaying every time a semi-truck is in front of us. Cost only $6 for the DB sticky tape.
Don't tell Linda I've still got more ideas. The "Dinosaur" has become a "Money Pit"
My goal was 17 mpg (got it) it may be 18 now. That's real good for almost 7000 #'s at 60 mph. Did you know that 60% of your gas spent is on pushing air out of the way? Takes almost twice as much energy at 80 mph vs. 60.

No comments: