Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Comparison



Got to ride my "NEW" 1984 Yamaha 1200cc Venture to Sierra Blanca. It is about 190 miles round trip. Been on this road maybe 100 times. I always take my newest vehicle out there because it's isolated and can think about it without worrying about the crazies in El Paso.


Anyways I was thinking about this bike and the 2000 BMW K12ooLT I sold about 2 months ago.


The Yamaha is 75# lighter, feels like 150# less top heavy, is just as comfortable, $5000 cheaper, is red so it stands out better for safety, has more low end torque, once I get the bugs all worked out will be more reliable, Linda thinks the passenger seat maybe more comfortable, I know she won't be afraid to drive it, is more stable in winds, handles well and got 45 mpg at 60 mph.


OK, the BMW got high 40's mpg at anything under 75 mpg, had Cruise Control, a little better wind protection, was cooler riding when over 90 degrees.


Now for $5000 less the Yamaha is by far a better deal, I can get a bigger windshield for more wind protection, looking at Ebay for cruise controls, leaned out the carbs today for better gas mileage, and I'm looking into making it cooler. Soooo.....


Oh ya, the Yamaha rattles going over bad bumps, but the BMW rattled all the time at idle, hummm....

No comments: