Friday, June 27, 2008

Ready to Ride




I finished the initial rebuild on the '84 Yamaha Venture 1200cc touring bike we bought in PHX about 4 weeks ago. It needed the usual new battery, fork seals, change all fluids and carb cleaning. It only has 14400 miles. It is 75#'s lighter than the BMW was. Much less top heavy. It is very comfortable. But needs more wind protection.

Although red is not my favorite color I hope it stands out enough so I can avoid some the idiots here. The seat and paint are nearly showroom quality after 24 years. All systems work as of now. The carbs need further tuning. Idle is erratic.


I've got about $3000 invested, it is worth more with so few miles. It is now TTL'ed.


It needs a cruise control they did not have in 1984. Can't wait for Linda to drive it.


With 5 bikes I can still only ride one at a time, but, boy do, I have a choice now. Touring, Sport touring (2), Cruiser and Dual sport bikes. I'm in with the in crowd on any ride. I've got less invested $ with 5 bikes than one of my friends with 1 bike, a 05 Honda Goldwing. It will cost me about $500 a year in plates and insurance, still less than the insurance was on my 99 Corvette, ($750).

No comments: