Saturday, September 20, 2008

New challenge


I've always wanted to know more about electronics. Especially how to design various circuits. I still can't design them but I can build them if I have the specs and a diagram.

The Venture has a lot of circuits, relays, 2 computers, accessories, switches, and a very limited supply of electricity. At 4000 RPM there is a 30 amp stator (alternator built into the engine, not external like most cars), but only 20 amps at 2000 RPM. Not much.

Most cars have a 50-75 or 100+ amp. alternator. Even at idle there is sufficient power to run almost all the accessories, i.e. power windows, heated seats, radio, A/C, moon roof, 2 headlights, multiple tail lights and much more.

Anyways the draw on the stator is more than than is generated at idle and low rpm. So where does the extra come from: the battery. That's OK if it is for a short time, the battery is fully charged and there is time (20 minutes) to recharge the battery after starting the engine, (100 amps?). Short trips to the store 1 mile away does not restore the energy used.

Car batteries are way over-sized and can live with short trips, multiple times.

But motorcycles batteries are under-sized and under used. Once a month usage is hard on them they lose 1/2 to 1% of their potential power per day.

Back to my project, remember how I started out this blog?

Well I was online on the VentureRider.org website and a fellow Venture rider mentioned how to keep the battery from being discharged.. Add a relay that drops out unnecessary drawdowns (auxillary lights-radio) when there is low stator output. Sounded simple so I started to build it. But it did not work. Bought the parts and got help redesigning the circuit from them. Did not work. Asked original Poster on the web for more help. Did not work. More redesigns, more no works.

Finally called Mike (Website Poster) in Oceanside, CA. Talked for an hour. More changes.

Then he suggested adding 2 more electronic parts I had for years sitting around here. IT WORKED!

Went for a ride today and it works too well! At every stop the relay drops out, the driving lights and radio shut off saving the battery. The driving lights are for safety. I want them ON so other cages (cars) see me. So I may have to override my new project.

Lessons learned: Don't add accessories more than the OEM designed the bike to handle. Also need to reduce amps to accessories already installed.

No comments: