Sunday, March 1, 2009

I keep trying to















To get rid of all the bugs on my Venture. Got an oil leak on the left rear side of the engine. Making a mess with oil all over the lower parts and muffler. I can smell it when I stop. I'm getting tired of the mess so today I reordered all the seals (3) in that area. Another $40.
When I had the engine running and rear wheel turning to see it I could see the leak, I noticed the rear tire wobbling. On closer inspection it was a large bubble or bludge in the tire. That is dangerous! That tire had several thousand miles left in it. It was old, 1997.
I have a rear spare tire, but it is the same kind Lowell had on his Venture. It made his wander especially at high speeds. If it does the same on mine I will junk it.
The bike is 25 years old, so all the seals and rubber are going bad, even though it has only 21,500 miles. It wasn't driven for 4 years, sat in Phoenix in the hot and in Minnesota in the cold. Bought it with just 14283 miles. Maybe before we go on our East Texas trip I will have all the bugs out and have enough spare parts (Over $500, so far) to fix most anything.
I'll just keep trying. And so what? It's a lot cheaper than a new one and keeps me busy.
BUT it's in a lot better shape than in the pictures.

No comments: