Friday, June 26, 2009

Trip 3


Our 3rd trip was to Monahans, Tx to the Sand Hills State park. Very large white sand dunes up to 70 feet and very hot. RV park was in a depression with no where for heat to escape. Went there because it wasn't going to rain as it did on our 2 prior outings. We took the Venture and saw hundreds of crude oil pumps in the Permian Basin. About 1/2 were working.
When I got my pilots license I flew into Wink Cnty airport which we drove by. It is still manned, why I do not understand? 1 plane.
Went to Rosa's Cantina Restaurant in Odessa for dinner (I'm still not over impressed), but it was something to do in a dusty-dirty West Texas oil town.
Next day went into Midland which is nicer. Ate lunch in a park and was back to the RV just after noon. High 90's by that time. A/C in RV would just barely keep it cool. I walked up a couple of sand dunes, the 2nd time at dusk because the 1st time in the afternoon I got heat stroke!
We bought a TV converter for Linda's Laptop but we must have been too far from town. We wanted to watch the last episode of "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of HERE!" No pic, bummer! But my favorite celebrity Lou won! We found out later.
Drove there 250 miles and back to Van Horn almost 375 miles total before we got gas. Tank is 35 gallons. I drove slower this time 55-60 and got 14.9 mpg, pulling the Venture on the trailer. That's much better than we have done before. Had a early 70's car that didn't do this good. Could drive 425-475 miles without stopping except for stretch and pee breaks.
Made many more improvements and fixed several leaks, every things working better.
Next trip late July to PHX to see my older sister and hubby.
We were NO where near anything like in the photo.

No comments: