Friday, July 10, 2009

More about the same


Ok it's more about the same, but it keeps me busy, thinking, active, creative and "out of trouble"?
Ordered parts to make the RV's exhaust system into dually. Figured it would be $150 but ended up at almost $180.
I was concerned about problems like, engine running too rich or lean, too noisy, weigh too much or have a lot of leaks. I ordered a 6' flex piece of exhaust piping but it came in almost a foot short. I called Summit Racing where I bought it from and they sent me another full 72" piece. So far I have not heard back they want the short one.
I had lots of time to plan everything out and it went by plan except all the pieces were a full 2 1/2" inside diameter (ID). No way to connect them. Went to Pepboys and they had all the parts I needed. But it cost the extra over what I thought I needed originally.
Then I had to cut the old exhaust pipe off the engine, it was a no return decision, I'm not regretting yet.
Every thing installed fairly easily, with a minimal cussing! Mostly tools not within reach.
I disconnected the engine computer (ECM) for fresh start up.
As soon as I hit the starter switch the engine fired right up, I had anticipated a short grind because I had worked on the fuel system.
Rolled it off the ramps and drove off. As soon as I turned out of the drive way, the throttle response was improved. The vacuum and the idle speed are up (that's good).
Right off the line at every light it has more power. Got up to 75 mph better, but it is 5700#'s without the trailer and bike, so it's no speed demon. Another 1100#'s for them.
Today were off the Silver City, camping. Hoping it is better thruout this trip and long term. I also put in new sway bar bushings and 4 new shocks in hopes of better handling and reduced swaying when semi's pass.
The steering when we bought it had about 30 degrees of slop. I tightened up the gear box and the wandering is almost gone.
As Linda keeps saying "It's our NEW vehicle" Just 21 years old...
Since it's truck size and an older vehicle it is a lot easier to work on than front wheel cars. Parts are much cheaper too. More when we return.

No comments: