Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Finally done


Just about a month ago I took my Yamaha 1200cc Venture touring bike apart to fix a potential 2nd gear problem. Parts were $200. The actual part needing to be replaced was a $14 item but to get to it the entire engine had to come out of the frame and be taken apart. About 6 days work at 6-8 hours a day. Some days required help from my friend Mike too.

The last thing I wanted to do was check the valve clearances. 7 of the 16 were too tight. On Venture Rider.org a member had a valve shim kit and compressing tool available to fix this problem. But it took 3 weeks to get in. Last Friday it finally arrived and I was able to make the adjustments. I had enough of it together to start it Friday. By Saturday it was mostly together and I could ride it. Sunday I got all the plastic, saddlebags, trunk, lower fairing and chrome back on. I installed a oil pressure gauge Sunday also.

Now I really wanted to drive it. I drove it about 15 miles listening and looking for loose parts, rattles, and unusual noises. All A O K!

Monday we had a plumber in to put in a new higher toilet in our bathroom. (my knees were above my waist on the old one). But of course the floor tile we had put in 5-8 years ago was not right so I had to fix that before they could continue. Later I went for a 35 mile ride.

The bike had 2 small oil leaks. Tuesday I fixed the oil leaks but it is too cold and windy to get out on it. Wednesday the plumbers come back.

I decided we should do the same in the guest bath. But I'm going to do it, since I had to do 1/2 work myself and it will save $150.

Maybe Thursday I can get out for a long ride....

No comments: