Friday, August 3, 2007

Working on bikes as usual


Well after 1 1/2 weeks I'm finally getting some of the routine maintenance that should have been done for the last 7 years on my new bike. Bleeding brakes, fixing the CD player, putting in switches for the battery and headlights, changing the transmission and rear end fluids, working on the ABS anti lock brakes that still do not work, buying filters, changing coolant, trying to figure out how things work and where parts are. Everything is in a different place, since it's German and under layers of plastic covers. I have to buy a 2nd service manual (in paper) to find stuff and get a trouble shooting guide. I've got a hundred screws out now that need to go back somewhere!

While I was working on it in the garage I got 3 other projects. Benny's nephew bought 5 mini-choppers from China. They are 10-12" of the ground, are a lawsuit waiting to happen, and not street legal. They were expensive at $2000 but are really cheaply constructed. Screws in bad locations, cheap hardware, bent brackets, and worst of all a Radio Control (very small) 12v. battery that is suppose to start it. (HA). I couldn't even start it with the kick starter. It hurt my foot. No I'm not going to build the other 4.

Then a guy installing solar lights wants me to help him put his 1972 Ducati back together with special parts at his work place. Never worked on a Italian bike before.

Next door at the Anderson's they've got a crew there enclosing the garage for the older brother who got Polio and now is an invalid. The owner came over and wants me to get his Truimph running he forgot he had. Turns out it is a 2 cyl. Kawasaki. Gee, I could have worked an a British bike if he got it right.
Picture above is Jim's new T-bird, the black one (newer 02). The 57, white one, he worked on. He likes his better.

No comments: