Sunday, October 12, 2008

Another finally


Ever since I rebuilt the carbs on the Red 92 Suzuki 1100 2 of the 4 carbs have not run correctly. It's #1 and #2 cylinders. #3 & #4 are running right. Taking a spark plug reading 1 & 2 are running at the correct air to fuel mixture from idle to high speed. In fact I never seen plugs that clean (correct).

#2 was rich with a little black soot. It was fixable by dropping the needle down into the jet about .030"

But the real kicker was #1. No matter what I did it was way rich. This causes low gas mileage and poor performance. This bike new to me, got 47 mpg at 80 mph. At 65 it was 50 mpg and at 55 was 54 mpg. It was also the fastest of the 4 I had at one time.

Lately it's been in the middle 40's driving 55-60 mph. Just off idle it would stumble (mis-fire).

That's what I get for trying to clean old carbs.

With gas prices at $4 and sometimes 180 miles between stops 45 mpg is not getting it.

Today I said I've got to take a different approach. Didn't Einstein say "doing the same thing over and over and trying to get a different result is a sign of insanity? "

Well the one thing I had not done was trying a different jet. Several months ago I plugged several worn out ones with J B Weld and redrilled them out with a smaller hole .099". I put one in and now it was way too lean. After several attempts of trying the get the needle to richen it up by rising it, it did not work. So I drilled the jet out to .102" (just .003" larger). The same size as the original! Now it ran about right , just a little hesitation.

I put in a worn out needle and adjusted it more, went for a 10 mile ride and came back to do another plug check. It was clean like the other 3. Hallelujah! FINALLY right!

Ready to go on a longer ride to do a gas mileage check. Should be back up to about 50.

A few days ago my neighbor across the street said I should get a scooter. Ya right! I said my bikes get 50, how much does your full size truck get? Mumble-Mumble.
I never seen it with stuff in the bed either.

My 400cc bikes gets 75 by the way. Fill ups at $4 a gallon are $8 and I go 150 miles!!

No comments: