Thursday, October 9, 2008

When your a hundred...


I hope your in as good a shape as my oldest bike I've had since Feb 93. My 91 Suzuki 1100 turn over a Hundred Thousand miles today. I've set several personal records. Never had a bike this long, never had even close to this many miles on one bike (highest before was 33k), a bike that was as reliable, fast, smooth, economical, and required so little maintenance.
It's in better shape than every bike I've rebuilt.

New, it would do 135+ mph, but only got 40 mpg. I did have to put in newer cams a couple of years ago, but the power is mostly back now. It does not burn oil yet. Less than 1/2 qt. in 3000 miles.

Now it gets 50+ mpg, but I have slowed down some too. I used to drive it at 75 but 55-65 is a lot more tolerable now. Especially since I'm on probation for 6 months after getting 3 tickets at one time on my other Suzuki 1100, 2 years ago.

After an accident it handled bad for years until I figured out how to compensate for the slightly bent forks and frame.

It still has the original front brake pads, but the rear's wear out after just 10-15k. It' had an oil leak, I had to drive it twice 50 miles putting in a qt. every 10 miles. But a $5 weld job fixed that. Parts were $125 I did not buy! So far it has always started away from the house, except once when I loosely connected the starter wires.

In 100k I changed the oil 33 times (198 qts. oil), had 6 batteries, 6 front tires, 9 rear tires, 9 rear brakes pads, & I'm on the 2nd rear disc. The gear box at the rear wheel has leaked from day one, but only about an ounce every 1000 miles.

It's been to Colorado twice, AZ several times and to NM hundreds of times. On my favorite road out off Sierra Blanca maybe 150 times. My guess it's been on 500 trips, and started over 2000 times. That's about 2400 gallons of gas or $5000.

It owes me nothing and I could still get over $1000 out of it. Parted out it would be worth about $2500, But I won't do it. It is the only vehicle I've ever gotten attached to. The other 29 cars and 25 bikes were always expendable.
Know anyone that's got 100k on their bike? I do, his has probably 200k now. Goldwings cared for get 200-300k on the original engine. I suspect this bike could go 150k.

No comments: