Monday, October 13, 2008

Why 5?


Why not? 5 bikes that is. Sold the 99 Corvette 2 years ago. $750 just for insurance per yr. It took premium gas, got about 20 MPG in the City. Took up 1/2 of the garage and got used 2-3 times a month. 1500 miles per yr. Groceries, hardware, and then out to a show or dinner.

OK I had the oldest Brown 91 Suzuki, the dual sport 400 then. I was getting into working on bikes more and every time I wanted to work on one I had to move Linda's Cadillac out.

I've rebuilt about 7 bikes in the last 3 years. They are a lot easier to work on cars, less expensive and frankly a lot more fun to drive. Even the 99 Corvette never really impressed me. It was fun to pass with 360 hp, though!

Linda said get rid of the Corvette and the bikes could be inside. Yaaa!! And 4 bikes will fit where 1 car was. So I bought 4 Suzuki 1100's, I liked them that much. Then asked my self do I need 4 exactly alike? Sold two. Bought the BMW I never liked, then sold it a year later. Had plenty left over to buy 2 more, but all different. This time got the Yamaha Virago, Linda likes it. It's good around town bike, is lighter and handles great. We still wanted a touring bike for 2 up day trips and someday maybe a long trip.

Oh no that's back to 5, Ya kept track?

Here's the present stable: 1.)84 Yamaha Venture 1200 Touring bike. 2.) 98 Yamaha Virago 1100 Cruiser (low, slow and chromed out). 3.) The old 91 Suzuki 1100 (just turned 100,000 miles) I call Mr. Reliable, 4.) The Red 92 Suzuki 1100 is the replacement for the brown one (if it ever wears out), it's cleaner, low miles, and the fastest of the 5. 5.) My '00 Suzuki 400 Dual Sport, I use for picking up parts, and riding on the dirt.

All five cost me less to insure, for plates, inspections than the Corvette's insurance.

Lately I got smarter and put the car on the side closest to the inside door. Then the bikes could be in the side by the workbench so I did not have to walk around the car every time I needed a different tool.
Oh the poor 400 is in the new shed, all by itself, lonely, I think it needs a friend...
It all makes perfect sense to me....

No comments: