Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I'm doing it


Get your mind out of the gutter! I'm tearing my Venture 3/4 apart to fix 2nd gear. The engine has to be taken totally apart to get to the gear box. To do that it had to come out of the frame. But to do that the entire rear end had to come out. All the wires, cables, hoses, filters, carbs, exhaust and lower fairing had to come off first.

Why? At about 50,000 miles second gear starts slipping out under hard acceleration. Which gear takes the most punishment, 2nd of course!

These engines were manufactured from 1983-1993. After the first ones got some miles on them, they found this problem but did not fix them until mid 1985. Guess what I bought, a 1984. I knew it before I bought it but went ahead anyways.

Good winter project. And it was today, started out 53 degrees and went lower into the 30's and SNOWED/rain mix!! I was cozy in the garage.

Got the engine apart today. Only 35 bolts holding the 2 halves together, I numbered each one because most are different. Had to buy tools I sold a year ago.

I'm up to $200 in parts and tools. ALL FOR A $1.00 washer that was too soft. But of course I needed 2 and only ordered 1 so I have to wait a week or 2 for it to come in.

But what to hay, it's keeping me busy. More soon. The picture is nothing compared to how much is actually apart now.

No comments: