Saturday, December 6, 2008

Last group ride of the year


We had 6 touring bikes today. The 3 Yamaha Ventures, Benny's Honda Goldwing, Larry's BMW and Charlies's Yamaha Cruiser Tourer, 4 Yamaha's total. Went to Alamagordo, NM via boring Rte. 54. It is very safe now, not much to see, but lots of time to dream. This group rides very conservatively and courteously. We're all in our late 50's to mid 60's. It was about 40 degrees when we left and mid 60's coming home.

So far I've driven over 22,000 miles on my bikes this year. Sold one bike, bought 2 better ones. I try to alternate between them so they all get driven every week. It's hard on seals, batteries, and carbs if they are not.

Yesterday I drove to Columbus, NM about the same distance, 90 miles, as Alamagordo. They are building the fence along the border. It's not very high so I think it could be jumped over easily. Or lean a primitive ladder on it and jump down. Total waste of "Millions of Dollars". Did the Great Wall of China keep out the Mongols?
Right now there are many dump trucks along Rt. 9 Columus Border Hiway, so it's not isolated from traffic as usual. This is also a primary route for oversized loads, some very heavy and wide. Used to be no traffic at all 5 years ago.

Montana (or Carlsbad Hiway to the East) now has many trucks especially Walmart's, so it is much busier too. My 2 favorite roads from Carlsbad Rd to I-10 are still isolated, luckily.

I've slowed down but most vehicles have sped up, as well as most speed limits are up. I get passed a lot now. Rte. 20 from Socorro to McNary was 55 mph 2 weeks ago, is now 60. I-10 from El Paso county to Big Springs is all 80 mph. In the winter it has even more trucks and RV's than usual. Carlsbad Hiway is 75.
The above is my Suzuki 400cc dual sport (road and dirt) I don't use as much as I did when I got it. Only put 7,000 miles on it in 4 years, 14,000 the 1st 2 years. It has a large plastic box on it so I use it to pick up parts, go to bank, and a rare trip into the desert. Picture was taken right after several carpets got washed after the cat pee'd on the them. Bet you needed to know that!

No comments: