Saturday, January 26, 2008

1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Bought my 23rd Motorcycle Thursday. It's only my second
Yamaha. The first was a 1982 Seca 650 Turbo. Very fast. But
this one is a blast to drive. Never sat this low before. It's a Cruiser.
It's small especially for an 1100cc bike. Handles probably the best
I've ever been on. Got 49.6 mpg the first tank. Doesn't need hardly anything. Came with engine case guards, small windshield and a luggage rack. I took the cruiser type bag off the Suzuki 1100 and put it on here as a back rest, got it for $10 at the Yamaha dealer couple months ago, worth $125!. It has much stock chrome and not a scratch. I'm servicing it now but it really does not need much because it only has 4050 miles (yes in 10 years!) My friend, Lowell found it at the closest dealer, 3 miles from the house at the Kawasaki dealer. It was on consignment, the owner paid $7600 for it a year ago and wanted $5000. Dealer knew it was way too high, then said $4500, I said ya right! I offered $3000, Owner said no less than $3250. I walked out. I told Linda about it, we went back the next day, I offered $3100, owner said yes! $3439 with TTL. Found Kelly Blue Book value at $3550 so I really did come out ok, I thought originally I had paid too much.
Anyways, Sam Faraone had one he bought last Aug. I drove it a couple of times and really liked it. Linda said I could not have another bike. One of my 4 had to go. Only room for 4 in the garage.
When the brown 91 Suzuki 1100 gave out 1-2 weeks ago (but still runs) with engine noises and a bad front tire, I could finally (sort of) justify looking and buying a bike like Sam's. I found several within 850 miles but really were either too small cc, too much money, the wrong way (north in the winter?) or too high mileage or problems I could see in closeups. Paying the extra $1100 more than I wanted could be justified by not having to fix one up and/or driving a long ways to get it.
I drove it to Las Cruses today, the more I drove it the more I liked it. Yesterday Linda was going to drive it around the block and didn't come back for 10 minutes. She said "it was hers!" I said ok if you will drive it more often, we will see...

No comments: