Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Working out the Bugs on the Virago 1100


It takes me days to get the controls, windshield, vibrations, and servicing just the way I like them. I really can't understand how someone will put up with levers & pegs at weird angles and being windblasted by the shield way low and/or vibrating my helmet. I changed every fluid, they were 2-10 years old. Both hand levers were so far forward they were hard to reach. The foot controls were so high I had to lift my feet 2-3 inches off pegs. That is not safe. They are now ergonomically more correct. Almost all controls are adjustable to fit a wide variety of bodies.

Today I went to the east border check point at 70-80 mph. I was getting blasted by air over top the windshield, so I moved it up at least 4". Maybe the previous owners was real short. Even found the curve over the headlight was adjustable to reduce air coming underneath the windshield.

Being a V-twin at 80 mph and over 4,000 rpm it vibrates much more than my 4 cylinder bikes.

I actually took some tension off the handlebar clamps in rubber sockets and added a bar end weight.

2 tanks of gas so far, looks like it will get about the same MPG as my Suzuki 1100's but is no where as powerful. At 75mph twisting the throttle gets just a little response comparatively.

It has more torque but a lot less HP. 85/70 ft#'s and 60/100 HP. (Virago/Suzuki)

But the Virago handles much better! That's Sam and his 92 Virago above.

No comments: